Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number 1933.082.002
Object Name Print, Photographic
Description Photograph. Sepia-toned photo showing two recently-constructed brick manholes. The manholes were built to provide access for new underground electrical conduits that were laid along the south side of River Street (now W. Jefferson Ave.). The view looks eastward along River Street (seen at left) from the northwest corner of the Fort Wayne complex near the intersection of Rademacher Street. Workmen, construction equipment, pipe sections, and other materials can be seen in the background. Several wood frame and brick houses and businesses can be seen along River Street on the left side of the photo. Near the center of the photo, a decorative wrought iron fence can be seen which marks the property line of the Fort Wayne complex. In the center background area, a stone gate and guardhouse (Delray gate) can be seen which aligns with Shelby Street on the fort property. At the far right side of the photo on Shelby Street, a small hexagon-shaped guardhouse is visible. Wood fencing in the right foreground area has advertisement posters for "Union Tobacco" for smoking and chewing. A large 3-story red brick barracks building can be seen on the fort property in the right background. Handwritten text on the verso shows "Laying of first electric lighting conduit."
Date c.1898
Print size 10" x 12.5"
Dimension Details Image size is 7.75" x 9.75"
Collection Municipal Services
Search Terms Fort Wayne
River Street
W. Jefferson Avenue
Utility Construction
Underground Electrical Conduit
Construction Workers
Relations Show Related Records...