|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
Photograph. Sepia-toned photo showing underground electrical duct banks being constructed along the south side of River Street (now W. Jefferson Ave.). The view looks eastward along River Street (seen at left) from the intersection of Dragoon Avenue and shows the excavated trench with two duct banks. The duct bank construction consists of sections of clay pipe that are being mortared in place along each side of the trench bottom. The conduits in each duct bank are arranged 3 horizontally and 5 vertically. String lines are stretched along the right sides of each duct bank to establish line and grade for the construction work. Construction equipment, materials, and workmen can be seen in the background.
Several wood frame and brick houses and businesses can be seen along River Street on the left side of the photo. One of the businesses (wood frame building with white awning) is the bakery of Frederick Opp at 1664 River Street. Just beyond the bakery (2-story dark brick building) at the corner of Military Avenue is the Fort Wayne Grocery Store that was owned by William P. Ratigan. On the right side of the photo, a decorative wrought iron fence can be seen which marks the property line of the Fort Wayne complex. The main gate to the fort complex is faintly visible in the distance. Two 3-story red brick barracks buildings can be seen on the fort property in the upper right corner area of the photo. Handwritten text on the verso shows "Laying of first electric lighting conduit."
Ratigan, William P.
|Print size||10" x 12.5"|
|Dimension Details||Image size is 7.75" x 9.75"|
W. Jefferson Avenue
Fort Wayne Grocery Store
Underground Electrical Conduit
|Relations||Show Related Records...|