Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number 1933.082.014
Object Name Print, Photographic
Description Photograph. Sepia-toned photo showing two construction workers who are installing an underground electrical cable at a manhole. The cable is being pulled from a wheel-mounted reel into an underground conduit by another group of workers that can be seen in the distance at the left side of the photo. (This other group of workers is shown in photo 1933.082.013.) The manhole appears to be located near the center of a wide street (possibly Fort Street) that has brick pavement and streetcar tracks. The name that is stamped on the nearby manhole cover shows "Edison Illuminating Co." Both workers are dressed in work attire and are wearing hats. Several buildings can be seen in the background although no business names or addresses are readable. Handwritten text on the verso shows "Laying of first electric lighting conduits."
Date c.1898
Dimension Details Image size is 7.25" x 9.25"
Collection Municipal Services
Search Terms Utility Construction
Underground Electrical Conduit
Construction Workers
Edison Illuminating Company
Relations Show Related Records...