Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number 1933.082.012
Object Name Print, Photographic
Description Photograph. Sepia-toned photo showing underground electrical conduits being constructed beneath a street (probably Fort Street). The view shows the open trench with a duct bank that consists of sections of clay pipe that are being mortared in place. The conduits in the duct bank are arranged 3 horizontally and 5 vertically. A string line is stretched along the right side of the duct bank to establish line and grade for the construction work. On the left side of the photo, brick pavement and streetcar tracks are visible as well as two upright sections of clay pipe for the conduit construction. Also visible on the left side is a group of upright cylinders. These appear to be wood plugs that are covered with a white concrete/mortar residue. (Several of the cylinders have longitudinal cracks along the sides which would suggest that they are made of wood rather than of concrete.) Possibly, they were used as temporary plugs to prevent earth from going into the conduits during trench backfilling work. Pipe sections, wood boards, and a tamping tool can be seen in the upper right corner area of the photo. Handwritten text on the verso shows "Laying of first electric conduits."
Date c.1898
Print size 10" x 12.5"
Dimension Details Image size is 7.75" x 9.75"
Collection Municipal Services
Search Terms Utility Construction
Underground Electrical Conduit
Relations Show Related Records...