Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number 1930.111.001
Object Name Print, Photographic
Description Sepia-toned albumen photo of Fire Department Engine Company #7. The photo shows the horse-drawn engine along with the crew (9 firemen and mascot) in front of the the 2-story brick fire station which was located at Fort and Elmwood Ave. A note has been handwritten in ink across the tip of the photo which shows "Compliments of E. R. Jarrait." Numbers are written in pencil adjacent to each fireman to indicate their names which are shown on the verso. Handwriting on the verso notes: "Engine Co. #7, Fort & Elmwood Ave.; Organized Feb. 1, 1874; 1. Richard (Dick) Jarrait (hose cart driver). 2. Dan McClelland (engine driver). 3. Jas. McKernen - engineer & foreman of Co. 4. Louis Werner - fireman. 5. Morris Cousino - minuteman and pipeman. 6. Geo. Ring - minuteman & pipeman. 7. Jack Gordon - minuteman & pipeman. 8. Jack Chandler - minuteman & pipeman. 9. John Black - minuteman &pipeman. 10. Snyder (Co. mascot) [dog]. All members deceased."
Date c.1875
Print size 7.5" x 9.875"
Collection Fire Department
Search Terms Detroit Fire Department
Engine Company No. 7
Firefighters
Fire Stations