Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number 1933.082.004
Object Name Print, Photographic
Description Photograph. Sepia-toned photo showing underground electrical duct banks being constructed along the south side of River Street (now W. Jefferson Ave.). The view looks eastward along the bottom of the excavated trench and shows two duct banks with the conduits in each bank being arranged 3 horizontally and 5 vertically. The duct bank construction consists of sections of clay pipe that have been mortared in place along each side of the trench bottom. An exposed sewer pipe is visible at the bottom of the trench beneath the duct banks. Excavated earth has been piled along the left side of the trench and the roofs of several houses can be seen on the left side of the photo. Utility poles and a tree trunk are visible in the background.

On the right side of the photo, a decorative wrought iron fence can be seen which marks the property line of the Fort Wayne complex. In the center background area, a stone gate and guardhouse (Delray gate) can be seen which aligns with Shelby Street on the fort property. Handwritten text on the verso shows "Laying of first electric lighting conduit."
Date c.1898
Print size 10" x 12.5"
Dimension Details Image size is 7.75" x 9.75"
Collection Municipal Services
Search Terms Fort Wayne
River Street
W. Jefferson Avenue
Utility Construction
Underground Electrical Conduit
Relations Show Related Records...