|Title||Detroit River Front - July 25, 1774|
|Scope & Content||
Lithographic print entitled "Detroit River Front - July 25, 1774," sent out as a New Year's card by the Detroit Free Press. The print depicts Detroit as viewed from Detroit River to the southwest, facing upriver. The building's of the settlement are surrounded by a stockade. Canoes, rowboats, and sailing ships are in the river. A pair of men fish from a canoe in the foreground. The lithograph is printed in black on beige paper. The print is attached, as a flap, to a backing, upon which a caption is printed below, and a brief description, and a filled-out address form are printed behind:
New Year's Greeting
Official Carrier No. ____
Name: Stalan Dominique (Duke)
Address: 3737 Moore Pl.
The Detroit Free Press
Home Delivery Dept. RAndolph 8900
Detroit, founded in 1701 by Antoine Laumet de LaMothe Cadillac, was first known as Fort Pontchartrain. The hardy French pioneers settled along the river front. The town was largely enclosed in a strong stockade of pointed timbers 14 feet high. The enclosure extended from what is now Cass Avenue on the west to Brush Street on the east, and up from the river to Congress Street. Here Detroit, now America's Fourth City, had its beginnings.
The picture, of which this etching is a faithful reproduction, was found in Plymouth, England and was sent to Former Mayor John C. Lodge by Lady Nancy Astor. Lady Astor, first woman to sit in the English Parliament, was born in the state of Virginia.
The reproduction is through courtesy of the Charles M. Burton Historical collection-Detroit Public Libary.
|Extent of Description||
Backing is 11" x 7.5"
Print is 10.25" x 6.5"
Detroit Free Press