|Object Name||Film, Motion Picture|
|Scope & Content||
Silent black and white 16mm film of the Detroit Historical Museum's "Design on Wheels" exhibit in Dodge Hall. The film focuses on the exhibit's automobiles and two animated dioramas of factory scenes.
The film opens with the museum's director Henry Brown entering the museum through the Woodward Avenue entrance. After an establishing shot of the exhibit taken from the hall's second floor balcony, a series of scene begins, each focusing on a single vehicle. Brown is shown inspecting, and even sitting inside of several of the cars. The film shows the 1913 Scripps Booth Bi-Autogo (1960.169.002), the reconstruction of Charles Brady King's 1896 car (1957.160.001), a close-up of an engine, an early Buick roadster, the 1914 Anderson Detroit electric car (1958.388.001), a race car, and the 1934 Chrysler Airflow 4-Door Sedan (1959.236.001).
The film ends with scenes of two mechanical animated dioramas which demonstrate the evolution of automotive assembly processes. The first diorama depicts a small, simple workshop, and the second is a modern assembly line.
The film is on a grey metal reel with "Det. Hist. Mus. Exhibit," written on one side, and "Popeye Pals" written on the other.
Brown, Henry D.
|Extent of Description||00:05:58|
|Collection||Detroit Historical Society|
Detroit Historical Museum
Anderson Electric Car Company