Museum logo

Archive Record

  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number 1948.132.006
Object Name Poster
Scope & Content Poster. Contains a clipping from the May 16, 1867 edition of the Advertiser and Tribune, commemorating the laying of the first stone for City Hall, along with a transcription of the article. At the top of the poster is text reading "First Stone of the New City Hall 1867," followed by the clipping which is inset inside a thin black border. The clipping is surrounded by the following names: Mayor - Merrill I. Mills, City Clerk - Henry Starkey, City Treasurer - E.S. Leadbeater, City Attorney - T.H. Hartwell, City Controller - A.H. Pedfield, City Counselor - William Gray. The bottom half of the poster contains the transcription of the article, as follows:

"Laying the First Stone of the New City Hall

Early this forenoon, the first stone of the new City Hall was placed in position. The large blocks, six and a half feet in width are easily handled by means of the huge derrick employed. A bed of water lime mortar is first prepared, which, filling any cavities either in the stone or the clay below, gives a firm bearing for the foundation and will do much to prevent settling. The first stone was laid without any formalities though quite a little crowd assembled to see the performance. As the structure thus commenced is one likely to endure for centuries, the record of this fact will be a matter of interest to future generations, when all now living will have laid for ages in their graves and the administration of Andrew Johnson will be regarded as a very early period in the history of the Republic. Fancy the interest that would now be awakened by the discovery in some old file of newspapers (if such were possible) of a record of the exact day and hour of the laying of the first stone of the ancient Westminster Abbey or the Tower of London, yet such interest will the files of the Advertiser and Tribune afford to the antiquary of the twenty-fourth century if not of the twenty-ninth, in relation to the venerable old pile then known as the Detroit City Hall."

Date 1867
Extent of Description 11" x 17"



Collection General History
Search Terms City Hall
Advertiser and Tribune